The following parents have signed SADD's Parent Responsibily Pledge:
Kathy Jo Vanderloan
I pledge to actively support youth, school, law enforcement and community efforts to create a healthy atmosphere in which youth use of alcohol and drugs is neither tolerated nor dismissed as the “norm.”
I join with other parents in my community in pledging to:
• develop a clear position about drug and alcohol use and communicate it to my child.
• not allow the illegal use of alcohol and other drugs in my home or on my property.
• not permit parties or gatherings in my home when I am not present.
• support school and law enforcement policies regarding the use of alcohol and other drugs.
• acknowledge my power as a role model and act responsibly.
• commit to being alcohol- and drug-free when chaperoning teen events.
Guidelines for hosting teen events:
• Be a present and visible host.
• Encourage “by invitation only” parties.
• Let guests who leave the party know that they may not return.
• Call the parents of any guest possessing or appearing to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Don’t allow anyone under the influence to go home alone.
• Contact law enforcement if a party gets out of control.
Guidelines for supervising teens:
• Designate a responsible adult to supervise your teen when you are out of town or unavailable.
• Know where your teen is and let him/her know where you are.
• Get to know your teen’s friends and their parents.
• Contact other parents to confirm your teen’s plans.
• When your teen is invited to a party, contact the adult in charge to verify:
- the occasion, location, and hours of the event
- that there will be adult supervision
- that no alcohol or drugs will be served or allowed
• Encourage your teen to be home on school nights except for school activities or employment.
• Establish weekend and vacation “curfew” times with your teen.
• Be awake (or awakened) when your teen comes home. Have a brief conversation with your teen.
** By signing this pledge, I/we agree to have my/our name(s) posted on the school web-site and/or the school newsletter.
Printed Name(s):______________________________ Phone #:________________