The Transportation Department of Greenville Public Schools is committed to providing SAFE and EFFICIENT transportation service for approximately 2400 eligible riders.
Two Tier System
We operate a "two tier" system ~ Grades 6 thru 12 and Pre-Kindergarten thru Grade 5. We cover approximately 2000 miles on a daily basis and make nearly 1100 bus stops.
The department consists of 20 full time and 8-10 part-time professional drivers. The Director is Becky Jo Wheeler, Administrative Assistant/Routing Specialist Deborah Ball, Dispatcher Molly Grosvenor, and Mechanic James Baker III. Our fleet consists of 28 buses, 2 cars, and 4 vans along with maintenance trucks, vans, and various equipment.
All drivers must have:
- A commercial drivers license
- Pre-employment Department of Transportation physical
- Pre-employment drug test
- Criminal background check
- Driver license record check
- Mandatory Michigan Department of Education training
- Secretary of State approved "third party" road test
- Subject to random drug and alcohol testing
We pride ourselves on our well maintained fleet that is inspected annually by the Michigan State Police inspectors.
Inclement weather, School delay or closing
The decision to close school is made cooperatively by the Superintendent and the Director of Transportation. Although not always an easy decision, school will remain open if road conditions are safe for bus travel. Parents always have the option of keeping children home if they are concerned about weather conditions. When there is a delay or closing, please tune into the TV or Radio stations listed below for the most up-to-date information.
- WOOD-TV 8
- WZZM-TV 13
- WXMI-TV 17
- M-106.3 WGLM
- GPS District School Website
- GPS Facebook Page
- GPS District Text Alerts
All eligible riders are allowed one (1) address for pick-up and drop-off. If need be, riders may request one (1) alternate stop. Alternate stops for elementary students must be in the attendance area of the school they attend. Students should be waiting at their assigned bus stop, ready to board the bus, five (5) minutes prior to their pick up time.
Change of Address Requests
Change of address requests must first be submitted to your child's school then to the Transportation Department. Forms are available at any school office or below (Bus Form). Handwritten notes or telephone calls are not accepted. Allow up to 48 hours for any changes to student pick-up and/or drop-off location to be applied.
It is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian to see that a child gets safely to and from the bus stop. The school district provides transportation as a non-mandated services and establishes placement of the bus stops in accordance with the requirements of the law.
Appropriate Behavior on busses and at bus stops
Appropriate behavior on buses, and at bus stops, is expected by all passengers. Any behavior that distracts the driver is unacceptable:
- Hitting, touching, swearing, possession of any tobacco substance, alcohol, bullying of any type, etc.
School bus transportation service is a privilege that will be taken away if any unacceptable behavior occurs.
- 1st violation (unless severe) will result in a written warning.
- 2nd violation (unless severe) will result in, Pre-K thru 5th up to 3 days suspension, 6-12th up to 5 days suspension.
- 3rd violation (unless severe) Pre-K thru 5th up to 5 days suspension, 6-12th up to 10 days suspension.
- 4th violation all grade levels, loss of school bus service. In order to be considered for reinstatement the parent(s) must contact the Transportation Dept. to arrange a hearing with the student, parent, Director of Transportation, and Assistant Superintendent. Transportation service may or may not be reinstated.
In all cases a copy of the notification must be signed by a parent/guardian and student and returned to the driver before the student may ride again.
Transportation Department Hours
When school is in session, the Transportation Department hours are 5:30 AM until 5:00 PM. Our summer hours are 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Please contact us directly at (616) 754-3850.
Public school bus operations are regulated by the Michigan Department of Education.
Greenville Public Schools:
We all live by these core values.......