Chinese Immersion Program
Kindergarten Registration 2019-2020
It's time to register the graduating class of 2032 for Chinese Immersion. We are excited to welcome our 8th group of students to Walnut Hills for a fantastic year of learning and growing, Here are the steps for making ensure that your child is enrolled in immersion.
- Be sure you complete the Program Application form that is linked below. This is also part of the online kindergarten registration packet.
- If you are a Greenville Schools family but Walnut is not your home school, please fill out an in district schools of choice form.
- If you are outside of the GPS district, please fill out an out of district schools of choice form.
- Please take a peek at our program guide for additional information.
Chinese Immersion Program
Greenville Schools recognizes the importance of being bi-lingual and the value of starting language learning at an early age. We are pleased to offer a proficiency based language immersion program to all interested students starting in kindergarten. Program points of pride include:
- proficiency based instruction from native speaking teachers
- regular assessment and data review in all content areas to ensure adequate progress
- standardized test scores that meet or exceed those of non-immersion students
- immersion summer day camp
- cultural celebrations including Moon Festival and Chinese New Year
- immersion student leader development opportunities
- extra curricular groups and clubs
- field trips for students and families
- an immersion programming coordinator dedicated to supporting immersion teachers and families
Chinese at Walnut
Students in our elementary program are taught by Eastern/Western teacher teams. Our Eastern teachers are native speakers who teach Chinese language and culture along with math. Our Western teachers focus on reading and writing instruction in English. The language of instruction for science and social students varies depending on topic and grade level.
Chinese at GMS
2018-2019 is our first year of immersion at the middle school level. Students will continue their math and language instruction with a native speaking teacher who will place a strong focus on reading and writing. Students will expand their knowledge of Chinese culture and begin looking at careers that will allow them to use their language skills. Students will be able to continue studying Chinese throughout their middle and high school careers.
School of Choice Forms
ACTFL Can Do Statements - Information and links to ACTFL proficiency standards.
Parent Resources - Links to resources for parents from the Chinese Early Language and Immersion Society.
Utah Dual Immersion - Article about Utah immersion students preparing for the AP language tests.